U.S. Geological Survey Manual
SM 445-2-H CHAPTER 7
Accident/Incident Advertisement and Austere Blow Investigation
Instructions: This affiliate is revised to reflect the change in DOI activity that states that a austere blow is one involving the afterlife of an agent or assay of three or added persons, or Departmental or Bureau acreage blow in balance of $250,000 (previously $100,000). This affiliate additionally reflects the new Anatomic Assurance and Health Administration (OSHA) Form 300 acclimated for an anniversary arbitrary of injuries and illnesses, replacing references to the old OSHA Form 200.
A. To specify the minimum Occupational Assurance and Health Program (Program) requirements for advertisement Department of the Interior (Departmental or DOI) and U.S. Geological Survey (Bureau or USGS) incidents and accidents and added requirements for the advertisement of Departmental or USGS austere accidents. For advertisement purposes, a Departmental or USGS incident is an adventitious blow involving Departmental or USGS property, personnel, volunteers, contractors, emergency firefighters, the public, or the ambiance that could accept resulted in an injury, illness, or actual blow but did not. If there is injury, illness, or blow of property, the adventure is appear as an accident. In brief, a Departmental or USGS austere blow is an blow involving a afterlife and/or three or added bodies ailing and/or Departmental or USGS acreage blow in balance of $250,000. A complete austere blow definition is accustomed in Appendix 7-1, “Serious Blow Investigation,” of this Handbook.
B. To specify requirements for administering a austere blow investigation involving Departmental or USGS personnel, volunteers, contractors, emergency firefighters, or the public, back Departmental or USGS acreage and/or operations are complex (except aerodynamics mishaps which will be advised by the Office of Aircraft Services [OAS] in accordance with 352 DM 6).
C. Reportable accidents are those involving a USGS government employee, contractor, or volunteer; a affiliate of the accessible afflicted while on or in contact with USGS property; and government or clandestine acreage damaged during conduct of a USGS activity.
D. All austere accidents (those consistent in the afterlife of an agent or assay of three or added personnel, or $250,000 in acreage damage) shall be appear to the Bureau Assurance Administrator through the Regional Assurance Manager/Regional Assurance Officer by the adapted authoritative arch anon aloft learning of the blow or aural 4 hours of occurrence. Bureau Assurance Managers will, in turn, acquaint the Bureau Appointed Agency Assurance and Health Official (DASHO) through the Chief, Headquarters Appointment of Administering Services, while Regional Assurance Managers/Officers will acquaint their corresponding Regional Directors/Executives.
A. 29 CFR 1960, Subpart I, Recordkeeping and Advertisement Requirements.
B. Department of the Interior “Serious Blow Investigation,” Appendix 7-1 of this Handbook.
C. Department of the Interior “Serious Accidents Accompanying to Wildland and Assigned Fire,” Appendix 7-2 of this Handbook.
D. Memorandum of Understanding amid the Department of the Interior and the Department of Agriculture, October 26, 1995, Appendix 7-3 of this Handbook.
3. Incident/Accident Advertisement Requirements.
A. Administrator Requirements. The adapted actual supervisor will almanac all incidents and accidents in the Assurance Administering Information Arrangement (SMIS). The SMIS is managed by the Appointment of Anatomic Health and Assurance (OHS), with authoritative abutment provided by the USGS Assurance and Environmental Administering Branch.
(1) The SMIS Accident/Incident Address is the official Departmental or USGS adjustment for advertisement incidents and accidents. A SMIS Accident/Incident Report is authentic as the cyberbanking admission of absolute and added accident/incident advice into SMIS. The SMIS automatic arrangement for advertisement an accident/incident is amid at the afterward Web armpit http://www.smis.doi.gov.
(2) The USGS Assurance and Environmental Administering Branch serves as the Appointment of Almanac for SMIS Accident/Incident Letters and for added serious blow assay letters as declared in Appendix 7-1 of this Handbook. This advice will be controlled in accordance with Privacy Act and Freedom of Advice Act requirements.
B. Personnel Requirements. Cadre are adapted to anon address to their admiral every job-related blow or incident and to complete either the OWCP Form CA-1 (Traumatic Injury) or OWCP Form CA-2 (Illness) back abrasion has occurred. Accidents include:
(1) An injury, anatomic illness, or afterlife affiliated with the performance of assignment duties by personnel, volunteers, contractors, or emergency firefighters beneath Departmental or USGS jurisdiction.
(2) An abrasion or afterlife to the accessible and/or acreage blow accompanying to Departmental or USGS operations.
(3) A blaze consistent in at atomic a $500 blow involving vehicles, motorized equipment, aircraft, watercraft, structures, or capacity of any acreage under Departmental or USGS control.
(4) Acreage blow or abrasion consistent from the operation of Departmental or USGS, Accustomed Services Administering (GSA), a owned, or commercially busy vehicles, or automatic accessories acclimated for official business.
(5) Added acreage beneath Departmental or USGS ascendancy that is damaged by accident, whether or not it is to be repaired or replaced, behindhand of who acquired the damage—employee, volunteer, contractor, emergency firefighter, or clandestine individual.
(6) Apartment deployments and entrapments as a aftereffect of wildland or prescribed fire-related operations.
C. Work-Related Abrasion Reports.
(1) Adapted agent abrasion advantage forms will be able by the complex agent or his/her adumbrative (see 20 CFR 10).
(2) SMIS can accomplish the Appointment of Workers’ Advantage Programs CA-1 Form, “Federal Employee’s Apprehension of Traumatic Abrasion and Claim for Continuation of Pay/Compensation,” and CA-2 Form, “Notice of Anatomic Disease and Claim for Compensation,” based on information submitted in the SMIS Accident/Incident Report.
D. Investigation Requirements.
(1) Except for austere accidents, actual admiral will investigate and almanac in SMIS all incidents and accidents that activity beneath their jurisdiction.
(2) For a austere accident, the actual administrator charge admit the recording of the blow in SMIS, but the address charge additionally be advised by the USGS Authoritative Administrator of the ability incurring the accident. Austere accident assay requirements and responsibilities are listed in Appendix 7-1 of this Handbook. The USGS Authoritative Administrator is the facility/organization manager who has absolute band ascendancy over agent activity back and area a serious blow occurs. Examples of such administrators accommodate a Science Center Director or Office/Team Chief.
(3) The Bureau DASHO will ensure that austere accidents are absolutely investigated in accordance with Appendix 7-1 of this Handbook. Appendix 7-1 contains requirements for austere blow investigations; time frames for achievement of reports; actual notifications; the use of a Austere Accident Assay Team (SAIT) against a Trained Investigator (TI); SAIT composition, responsibilities, and qualifications; and address advocacy aftereffect procedures.
(4) Wildland and assigned fire-related austere accidents will be investigated in accordance with Appendix 7-2 of this Handbook.
E. Accident/Exposure Logging Requirements.
(1) Actual supervisors, with the blank of USGS arena and/or Bureau assurance staff, will assay and almanac job-related SMIS Accident/Incident Reports, including first-aid cases, in SMIS aural 7 agenda canicule afterward the date administering was notified of the occurrence. Note: This is the agnate of entering incident/accident letters on Anatomic Assurance and Health Administering (OSHA) Form 300, “Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses” (see 29 CFR 1960.67). Copies of the address can be retrieved through SMIS.
(2) Advice on Appointment of Workers’ Advantage Programs (OWCP) Continuation of Pay and agent hours formed will be entered in SMIS by the DOI Appointment of Anatomic Health and Assurance (OHS).
(3) Advance acknowledgment advice will be captured by the corresponding organization and appear to the USGS Assurance and Environmental Administering Branch, which will be amenable for entering accountable abstracts in SMIS.
(4) The USGS Assurance and Environmental Administering Branch will additionally be responsible for entering emergency firefighter hours, architect hours, and agent mileage advice in SMIS as appropriate.
F. Serious Blow Advertisement Requirements.
(1) Austere accidents, as authentic in Appendix 7-1 of this Handbook, charge be appear in the aforementioned address as accidents/incidents in accustomed (described in Sections 7.3A, B, and C above). Added requirements are articular in Sections 7.3F(3) below.
(a) Preliminary Notice. A accounting apprehension of a austere accident beatific to the Departmental DASHO by the USGS as a aftereffect to the antecedent telecommunications notification. The Preliminary Apprehension is forwarded aural 48 hours of the accident and should accommodate alone basal facts that are advised for information-sharing purposes only.
(b) Absolute Report. A accounting address by the SAIT or TI to the USGS Director and Departmental DASHO completed aural 45 agenda canicule of an accident. The Absolute Address contains alone the basal facts accompanying to the austere blow afterwards any inferences, conclusions, or recommendations. Copies of the Absolute Address or absolute advice gleaned from the address may be distributed to added bureaus and agencies by OHS.
(c) Administering Report. A accounting address by the SAIT or TI to the USGS Director and Departmental DASHO completed aural 45 agenda canicule of an accident. The Administering Address not alone contains all of the basal facts that are independent in the Absolute Address but additionally contains the after-effects of the investigation; e.g., the SAIT or TI opinions as to why management-control systems did not prevent the blow (if applicable) and recommendations for preventing agnate accidents.
(3) A austere blow involving an agent blow and/or the hospitalization of three or added cadre will be appear to the U.S. Department of Labor OSHA Area Office having administering over the blow armpit by blast by the bounded authoritative administrator (Science Center Director, Office/Team Chief) of the alignment incurring the accident.
(a) This blast address charge be fabricated aural 8 hours of the blow occurrence as adapted by 29 CFR 1960.70. Anniversary address will accommodate the afterward information: enactment name, area of accident, time of the accident, cardinal of fatalities or ailing personnel, acquaintance person, buzz number, and abrupt blow description.
(b) If the address cannot be fabricated during OSHA approved business hours, Monday through Friday, again the address can be fabricated through the OSHA telephone hotline at 1-800-321-6742.
(4) The Bureau DASHO, Bureau Assurance Manager, and the Director, OHS, will be a of a austere blow as anon as accessible through established advertisement procedures for austere accidents. The OHS Director will notify the Departmental DASHO and others as appropriate. This applies to all austere accidents. The DOI Watch Appointment can be contacted through the telephone hotline at 1-877-246-1373, on a 24-hour circadian basis.
(5) At the administering of the Bureau DASHO, the Bureau Assurance Manager will accommodate a accounting Preliminary Apprehension to the Departmental DASHO with a copy to OHS aural 48 hours of the accident. If the austere blow involves an employee blow and/or three or added cadre hospitalized, the Preliminary Notice will accommodate advice provided to OSHA as declared in Section 7.3F(3) above.
(6) A SMIS Accident/Incident Address will be entered in SMIS by the bounded authoritative administrator (Science Center Director or Office/Team Chief) of the alignment incurring the blow in accordance with Section 3.A(1) above. Afterward achievement of the austere blow assay Absolute Address and Administering Report, the Bureau Assurance and Environmental Administering Branch will amend the SMIS Accident/Incident Address to reflect the investigation’s allegation and recommendations, as accustomed by the USGS Director and/or Bureau DASHO.
G. Special Blow Reports. In accession to Departmental or USGS blow advertisement requirements, assertive accidents crave additional advertisement as follows:
(1) Aircraft Blow Reports. The OAS Aerodynamics Assurance Office will alike the assay of Departmental or USGS aircraft accidents/incidents with the National Transportation Assurance Board. Incidents with abeyant for causing an aerodynamics blow will be identified, investigated, and accurate as appropriate by the OAS Aerodynamics Assurance Appointment (see 352 DM 6 for added information). This does not annihilate the claim for the USGS to abide a SMIS Accident/Incident Report.
(2) Aerodynamics Blow Advice Arrangement (AMIS) Reports. The AMIS is an cyberbanking abstracts (files) accumulator based arrangement encompassing all aspects of aerodynamics blow advertisement aural the Department. Categories of letters include aircraft mishaps, aerodynamics hazards, aircraft aliment deficiencies, and airspace intrusions. The arrangement uses Form OAS-34 SAFECOM to address any condition, observance, act, aliment problem, or blow accepting abeyant to account an aviation-related mishap. Submitting Form OAS-34 SAFCOM is not a acting for “on-the-spot” correction(s) to a assurance concern, rather it is a apparatus acclimated in the documentation, tracking, and aftereffect antidotal action(s) accompanying to a assurance affair (see 352 DM 1 for added information).
(3) Boat or Barge Blow Reports. If a Departmental or USGS barge (including argosy beneath arrangement and argosy acceptable to accomplish on U.S. or territorial waters) is involved, a Boating Blow Report, U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) Form 3865, will be completed by the bounded authoritative manager (Science Center Director or Office/Team Chief) of the alignment incurring the blow whenever an blow occurs in U.S. or territorial amnion and results in the blow of life, abrasion causing awkwardness in balance of 72 hours, or acreage blow in balance of $500 (see 33 CFR Part 173.55, Address of Casualty or Accident).
(4) GSA Motor-Vehicle Blow Reports. Operator’s Report of Motor Agent Accident, Standard Form (SF) – 91, and Statement of Witness, SF-94, (if applicable), will be able and forwarded by the bounded organizational administrator (Science Center Director or Office/Team Chief) of the alignment incurring (to the GSA assurance appointment confined as the agile manager) back a GSA motor agent is complex in a Departmental or USGS accident. Forms SF-91 and SF-94 are additionally adapted if the agent is USGS-owned, leased, or rented, and involves accessible abrasion or damage.
(5) Wildland and Assigned Fire-Related Apartment Deployments and Entrapments. The antecedent address of apartment deployments and/or entrapments will be fabricated in accordance with instructions listed in National Blaze Accessories Arrangement (NFES) Form 0869. The final reports, which are completed at the bounded level, will be forwarded to the National Interagency Blaze Center for review, abstracts collection, and dissemination.
H. Anniversary Blow Arbitrary and Reports.
(1) As declared in Section 7.3E above, the abstract of USGS SMIS Accident/Incident Letters amid in SMIS constitutes the agnate of the OSHA Form 300, “Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses.” Copies can be retrieved from SMIS to accommodated OSHA recordkeeping requirements.
(2) An aboriginal OSHA Form 300, OSHA Form 300A, and added supplementary annal will be maintained at anniversary USGS establishment. In situations where, for affidavit of able administering or practicality, the USGS charge maintain these annal at a abode added than at anniversary establishment, a archetype of the records will be fabricated accessible at anniversary enactment beneath the ascendancy of the local Collateral Duty Assurance Program Coordinator. “Facts Only” may be appear from an SMIS Accident/Incident Address in accordance with Privacy Act and Freedom of Advice Act requirements.
(3) USGS individuals with Assurance and Anatomic Health Program responsibilities can admission SMIS-generated Departmental and USGS adapted letters on occupational injuries, illnesses, accidents, and incidents, such as SMIS Accident/Incident Address compendiums, and letters anecdotic indicators such as OWCP costs and injury/illness absent time amount (see 29 CFR 1960.26(a)(1) and 20 CFR 10.12). To admission accustomed admission to your organization’s data, acquaintance the USGS Assurance and Environmental Administering Branch.
(4) A archetype of OSHA Form 300 for an enactment will be acquaint not later than February 1 afterwards the aing of the antecedent agenda year and abide posted until April 30 or, otherwise, broadcast in autograph to all cadre of that establishment.
(5) Copies of OSHA Form 300 will be acquaint in a apparent place(s) area notices to cadre are commonly posted. In situations area establishment activities are physically dispersed, the apprehension may be acquaint at the location to which cadre address anniversary day. If cadre do not primarily assignment at or address to a distinct location, the apprehension may be acquaint at the area from which cadre accomplish to backpack out their activities. USGS organizations should booty adapted accomplish to anticipate the arbitrary address from actuality altered, defaced, or covered by added material.
I. Retention of Records. Annal are to be retained in accordance with applicative OSHA regulations and accustomed almanac schedules published by the National Archives and Annal Administration.
(1) Agent anatomic injury/illness advice will be retained on armpit by the USGS for at atomic 5 budgetary years afterward the year of occurrence.
(2) Occupational injury/illness annal will be retained as part of the employee’s medical almanac in the SF-66D, agent medical folder. This binder is an official addendum of the official cadre book system.
(3) Accident letters will be retained by the adapted USGS Safety and Environmental Administering Branch, the appointed Appointment of Record. Accident advice entered and maintained in SMIS meets the absorbed of this requirement.
J. Blow Reviews.
(1) The USGS has accustomed adapted procedures for assay of accidents. For alone accidents, this will accommodate additional akin administering and/or assurance administering assay of the SMIS Accident/Incident Letters as they are entered in SMIS. The USGS Assurance and Environmental Administering Branch will conduct an anniversary assay and consistent trend assay of organization-wide accident information.
(2) The USGS Assurance and Environmental Administering Branch may establish a Austere Blow Assay Board which is an ad hoc accumulation of assurance and health professionals convened to conduct alternate assay of austere accidents and consistent investigations. The Board will be amenable for developing USGS accident-prevention recommendations for austere accidents and added selected incidents.
/s/ Karen D. Baker 7/22/08 ______________________________________ ____________ Karen D. Baker Date Associate Director for Authoritative Activity and Services
The Latest Trend In Safety Accident Investigation Form | Safety Accident Investigation Form – safety accident investigation form
| Pleasant in order to the blog, in this moment We’ll provide you with regarding safety accident investigation form